#Suzhiyam #SweetBonda #Snacks
Suzhiyam is a sweet bonda made with chana dal and jaggery, the sweet filling is then dipped into a batter and deep fried to get crispy, golden sweet bondas. Suzhiyam is also known as suyam, seeyam or susiyam in different regions. It is generally made during the festive time, but it can be also made for an evening snack if you crave for something sweet.
Prep time: 8 hours
Cook time: 30 mins
Number of Servings: 4-5 persons
For the filling
Chana dal – 1 cup
Water – 1.5 cup
Jaggery – 1 cup
Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
For the batter
Parboiled rice – 1/2 cup
Raw rice – 1/2 cup
Urad dal – 1/4 cup
Oil for deep frying
For making the batter
1. Wash and soak raw rice, idly rice and urad dal each separately for 5 hours or overnight.
2. Transfer urad dal to a mixer grinder and grind them to a fine paste.
3. Same way grind idly rice and raw rice to a smooth paste like we do for making idly.
4. Transfer ground flour to a mixing bowl and add required salt, mix well.
5. Batter consistency should be like idly batter which is slightly thick.
6. Allow them to ferment overnight
For making the filling
1. Soak chana dal in water for 2 hours.
2. Pressure cook for 3 whistles with enough water such that the dal is completely immersed.
3. Dissolve the jaggery in some water and bring it to a boil and set it aside
4. To a pan, add the grounded chana dal and strain the jaggery to it and let it come to a boil.
5. Add grated coconut, cardamom powder to the chana dal – jaggery mixture. Mix everything well for 2 minutes in low flame, till it comes together.
6. Pinch a small portion of the stuffing / pooranam, and roll it into a ball, little tightly.
7. Make equal sized balls with all the pooranam.
1. Now dip kadalai paruppu pooranam in the fermented batter and fry them in hot oil over medium flame until they are slightly brown in color.
2. You can serve the suzhiyam hot or at room temperature.
You can buy our book and classes on http://www.21frames.in/shop
HAPPY COOKING WITH HOMECOOKING
ENJOY OUR RECIPES
FACEBOOK – https://www.facebook.com/HomeCookingShow
INSTAGRAM – https://www.instagram.com/homecookingshow
A Ventuno Production : http://www.ventunotech.com
Peoples are using these keywords: Seeyam, Suzhiyan, Sweet purnam, Homecooking, Sweet bonda, Suzhiyam, India, English